A New Love Affair
By John Armstrong, Founder of LifeStyle Aviation
Since there is so much to love I made a “top ten” list (that grew to 21!) of things that have stolen my heart to share with you as she compared to the DA40 and other planes.
- Easy starts, smoother, quieter, simple
- No Fuel pumps to manage or break
- Nose baggage perfect for traveling and a nice addition to what the DA40 has
- More leg room than the DA40 – I am 6ft 3in so its significant for me
- Turbo Power to climb quickly to altitude.
- Two engines – I’ve not hesitated to fly at night – very comfortable
- Auto feather and single lever so no worries – simplier than DA40 controls
- Can inspect the brakes and see the tire condition
- One whole passengers weight in useful load increase over the DA40 I fly and that’s with AC and TKS included. The DA42-VI has another 220 lbs on top of that for tremendous load options.
- Good visibility with Clear view over the nose
- Low noise from the air vents!
- Rudder trim!
- Air Conditioning (now available that’s all electric)
- Retractable gear – great for speed and rugged gear perfect for rough fields and pavement.
- Jet-A Lower cost by a buck a gallon equals huge savings.
- Unbelievable economy – better than most singles.
- Long range capability of 1000 miles
- 100 hour oil changes instead of 50 hours means fewer visits to the shop which can be a huge savings I find.
- Liquid cooled so decent planning is whatever you want which can be a huge advantage at times.
- Heavier weight for great ifr stability.
- Faster than the DA40 (160kts to 190kts depending on model selected)
I hope this personal summary will provide our clients an opportunity to compare notes and experience as they consider all their options.
I invite anyone that is considering the purchase of any aircraft to call us to discuss all the gas and Jet-A options. We will help you make educated comparisons. Since we offer many types of aircraft we can put all into context to all the options to help each client determine the best choice for their needs. For me personally, I’m going to continue enjoying my ongoing love affair with these two amazing planes.